Photograms what happened and the process

The process for creating a photogram is fairly simple, placing items on photographic paper and then exposing them to light for a number of seconds before developing the image as if it was a print as normal.

With my first test strip it didn’t work as well it was a little bit dark, this was due to the fact that when I had positioned the enlarger I didn’t turn the lens down and this led to overexposure on my first image. I exposed for seven seconds which would have led to the overexposure.

With my second test strip I adjusted the lens keeping it at seven seconds this seemed to have a more positive effect but as I was eager to look at the image I had produced I hadn’t left it long enough to develop and this meant that the image hadn’t processed enough.

My final image was the better one of the three that I had created, I had ordered the objects that I had used (Cotton buds and cotton wool) and exposed it for five seconds after I had decided that seven seconds was too long. I then with suggestion from Daniel instead of placing the image in the developer I ran the developer down the image to give it a more abstract effect, and I didn’t allow it to develop fully. I then processed it and dried it as normal. I really like this effect as a one off piece I don’t think I’ll carry this on further when I carry on developing my photograms for my project.